It's official, I finally graduated with my PhD in Education! It was a long journey that certainly felt at times would not come to an end, but with the support of my family and friends I was able to finish. The graduation ceremony was on December 17, which happened to fall on the first weekend we got out of school for Christmas break so we celebrated by spending the weekend down in Waikiki at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (thanks Mom and Dad!)
The graduation ceremony was LONG - nearly 3 hours and the PhD's were the last, but it was truly an amazing experience! After they called up the undergrads, masters, and medical doctors they announced that the PhD's were the highest degree offered. Our advisors followed us up individually on stage where they hooded us and read off the title of our dissertation (mine, by the way is "Harnessing the Power of Out of School Knowledge and Experience: Incorporating Popular Culture into a 6th Grade English Language Arts Curriculum). After we were hooded, they seated us with the professors from the University. I think the neatest part was as we were walking out of the stadium, all of the professors lined the halls and clapped and cheered for us to welcome us to the academic community. What a day!
 |
| Jenn and I had the same advisor...Dr. Donna Grace, who is sitting between us during the ceremony. |
 |
| Buelow's, Martin's, and Hoffman's |
 |
| Dr. Buelow and her boys :) |
 |
| So glad my parents were here to see me graduate! |
 |
| Me, Katie, and Jenn...Couldn't have done it without them! |
 |
| Thanks Mom, Dad, and Mark! I sparkle more than Edward Cullen! |
No comments:
Post a Comment